Monday, June 22, 2015

A look back on the head gasket repair...

Now that I have time to think about the head gasket replacement, I’m glad that I did the repair rather than having a shop do it. I did a lot of while I’m here replacement stuff as follows: All vacuum lines I could find, cleaned upper & lower intake tubes out. Replaced water pump, thermostat, all belts & heater hoses, drivers idler pulley, fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap rotor, rubber intake tube & several other things I can’t remember right now. These items would of not been replaced on a shop HG repair. I also feel much more solid with it now because I now know how everything works & had my hands on it. This thing is ready for another 100K!

There are several things I wanted to better or more of like a complete head job rather a quick & dirty head job… meaning I didn’t check all the valves angels or guides or valve clearance’s… I simply didn’t have time or money. I did lap the exhaust valves though.

I did make some modifications since I was there. The biggest change was I rerouted the wire loom behind the intake so I could completely remove the lower intake to clean it. I did a rap around the brake booster PHH bypass & also remounted the VSV in an easier place rather underneath the upper intake.

So, back to my trailer hitch mod & getting the old race trailer ready for service.

No comments:

Post a Comment